The deteriorating state of this Grade II*listed church has long been a cause for concern, so BBPT is delighted to learn that The City Church have recently submitted a grant application to the Heritage Lottery Fund for ‘Round 1’ funding, to support the costs needed to develop outline designs and agree in principle the HLF’s support for the delivery of planned restoration works. A decision on the application is expected in early March 2014.
It is intended that the project would be completed in 2016. Comprising group rooms, a restored worship space, kitchen, WCs and offices for City Church and building management, also the improvement of the public realm around the building for use by the community.
St. Michael’s was originally established in the mid-12th Century but re-built around 1460 with the tower added ten years later. It was subsequently re-built again, in Georgian Gothick style but with a classical interior by local builder and self-styled architect Thomas Paty, 20 feet wider than before but incorporating the medieval tower. Containing a peal of six bells, many fine memorials and a beautiful stone pulpit carved by Paty himself, it has been unused and sadly neglected for a decade.